Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FOOD HEAVEN’S ANGELS



Natural beauties Wendy and Jess take healthy living to another level. You won’t find these ladies on television karate chopping but chopping up tasty veggies. Wendy and Jess are creating heavenly dishes that will have you eating and feeling better. I was able to catch up with the two ladies of Food Heaven Made Easy and ask them questions about the show, natural hair, and personal style. Check out what the ladies have to say. I’m sure you will enjoy!


Why did you start the show Food Heaven Made Easy?
The rates of obesity and obesity related diseases, such as diabetes, are running ramped our communities. We’ve done lots of work surrounding nutrition and we noticed that folks don’t always feel empowered to make healthy eating choices.  A lot of reservations came from budget constraints and lack of knowledge regarding healthy cooking. We created Food Heaven as a platform to show folks of the Diaspora that healthy eating is attainable for everyone.
Do you feel that your show will make a difference in the black community?
Yes. We have been so grateful to already have amazing fans that watch each episode!  We get emails and comments everyday from people saying how much they appreciate the show or how they tried the recipe and loved it. It’s great to know that show is really inspiring folks and making a difference in their eating habits.
What are some easy steps you can do to eat healthy?
We recently did a post on 5 Ways to Eat Healthy on a Budget. Be sure to check those out on our site! Below are 3 bonus steps that can be easily incorporated into your daily regimen.
Plant-Based Diet
The majority of your diet should be plant based. This includes veggies, fruits, nuts, seeds, beans and grains.
Balance
Make sure to eat balanced meals that include lots of veggies, lean protein, complex carbohydrates and healthy fats.
Portion Control
Portion sizes have increased significantly over the past few decades. Try eating on a smaller plate to ensure you are consuming less at each meal.

What foods are great to help make your hair grow?
Foods with B vitamins, Vitamin A and Vitamin E all work together to maintain healthy hair. Good sources for B vitamins include whole grains, potatoes, bananas, lentils, chili peppers, tempeh and beans. You can get vitamin A from carrots, broccoli, sweet potatoes, kale, spinach, collards, pumpkins, cantaloupe, mango, papaya, and eggs. Vitamin E is found naturally in wheat germ oil, Sunflower oil, Safflower oil, nuts (like almonds and hazelnuts), avocadoes and green leafy veggies. The moral of this story: If you eat a well balanced-plant based diet you are sure to get the proper nutrients to promote hair growth.
How long have you both been natural?
Jess: For about 7 years.
Wendy: It’s been 3 years.
Name you favorite hair care product and why?
Jess: Devachan one conditioner. It’s the only thing I use. I’m pretty lazy when it comes to my hair. I don’t have the patience to experience with a bunch of hair products, so when I find something I like, I stick to it.
Wendy: Jojoba oil because it's so flexible! I use it for my skin, hair, and home. It leaves my hair super moisturized, my skin glowing, and serves as a great base for burning my essential oils.
On the show I love your chemistry and style… Describe your personal style?
Jess: I like to experiment with bright colors and patterns, but at the same time, I am a big fan of keeping it basic. I buy 80 percent of my clothes from the thrift stores (read: goodwill!), and sometimes I cop a couple of pieces from Forever 21, HM and Target (or ‘round the way stores like Conway and Pretty Girl….stop sleepin’!) I also love having clothing swaps with friends to exchange what I’m no longer feeling and cash in on new treasures.
Wendy: Well I don't really go clothing shopping due to lack of funds, but usually I'll just recycle the clothes I already have and cut em up into something that looks totally different. I'm also a fan of clothing swaps and consider them a great way to get free funky clothing, and bond with my sister friends. When I do have some money to splurge, I'll go to small boutiques in the city, or support independent fashionistas that are doing their thing. I also hit up H&M and Forever for some basics. Lastly, I can't leave my house with some big earrings on. 
What should every woman have in her closet to make her feel beautiful?
Jess: Clothes (and shoes) that make you feel comfortable. I feel the most confident when I am comfortable in what I am rocking.
Wendy: Comfortable underwear! It's really annoying when I'm wearing panties that I can barely walk in because they give constant wedgies. Underwear that compliments your body in a sexy and comfortable way is a thumbs up in my book.

Finish the statement… In the future Jess and Wendy will be
…shining superstars! We're both working towards expanding the show and making this a movement that includes visual media and personal community interaction and organizing around food sustainability. One of the greatest things about our show is that we are able to be ourselves and do things that we want to do. When working for other people or organizations, you don’t really have that flexibility. We see our show as a step towards our personal and professional independence.



 Check them out!!!     http://www.foodheavenmadeeasy.com/




No comments:

Post a Comment