Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Against the Odds: We are good parents


My family went to my son's kindergarten science fair last week. When we entered the cafeteria I saw so many black families. I saw both parents standing together watching their child win awards and the children telling the audience the college they wanted to attend in the future. The science fair projects looked like the parents put a lot of time and effort into their children's projects. In today's society black parents are stereotyped as being uninvolved in their child's education. It is said black families usually consists of single parent households or the grandmother is raising the kids. People will say we don't care about our children in the inner city. They will say no one attends the PTA meetings or school programs. At my son's school I saw black parents that cared about their child's education. I saw young mothers and fathers clapping and cheering for their children. Don't believe all the statics society sets for us. Against the odds of our surroundings we will still strive to be good parents.

No comments:

Post a Comment